metal roof help

labrown

I've done a couple of metal roofs. Both for Spring Fling builds funnily enough.

Here is 2011 which is simply a panelled aluminium roof using the kit roof and strip wood. Prime it with grey primer and paint the top coat in silver - not too neatly if you want a realistic effect. I used black acrylics to age this in the corners - not really obvious in pics but more impressive in real life.

gallery_4015_5166_85447.jpg

In 2010 I did a corrugated iron roof using corrugated paper from the kids section of my hobby shop. I cut the pieces into appropriate sized sheets, spray painted with grey primer and dry brushed a very little silver paint on it. Then I took the sheets outside and burned the edges of some of them with a cigarette lighter - just gently so that the edges looked worn and rotted away in places. I bent a few sheets too for the same reason. Then I painted rust spots along the dameaged areas of the sheets, stuck them in place from the bottom up slightly overlapping each level. Then I gave the entire sheet a wash of watered down black acrylic which I dabbed off to leave a higher concentration of paint in the "valleys" and finally made nail holes with a dab of embossing paint.

54153]gallery_4015_3983_1761162.jpg

Hope this helps - good luck with your roof.

• Like 1

My metal roof is copper painted magazine paper (like the cover), to get the full shiny effect and not the wood grain, with strip wood separating the sections.

The strip wood was cut at an angle at the top and then another piece was slid in between all the pieces.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=68556

I, too, did a corrugated roof for the Spring Fling last year. I used part of a $5 pack of 12 metal sheets from Hobby Lobby - 4" x 12" cut down to 6" - then put each piece through a Fiskars crimper. I spray painted all the pieces flat black, then layered on browns and orange paints.

gallery_4679_4160_54326.jpg

gallery_4679_4160_15364.jpg

I took one of the Magnolia kit's boxes and held it in the shower to let water run on one side and peeled it off to get my corrugated cardboard, cut the pieces to fit the roof sections and sprayed them silvery. Maggie is a bran-new FL Cracker shack, so I didn't age the roof:

gallery_8_988_72865.jpg

Here's the first tin roof I did, on a Buttercup (warts & all), which I aged with washes of black and sienna acrylic paints and added some moss:

gallery_8_76_40828.jpg

If you can use one of these techniques I would definitely recommend it over buying the tin roofing from one of the dollhouse shops. I used the real stuff on the farmhouse I did and though I loved the way it looked, it was a blister to deal with. If you can find an easy way to cut the stuff it may work better but I found when I tried to cut it it bent and then it was super, super, super sharp and wouldn't lay flat to adhere properly. Maybe a little more experience may have helped.

post-3544-0-31222400-1312466419_thumb.jp

• 8 months later...

Thanks, thanks, thanks! I did a search in the gallery and a few of these did show up but not all, and not with as much info as on the forum. I guess I should check everywhere. See another thing to add to the list of new things learned this year!

• Like 1