Houseworks Lighting Control Panel

madtex1967

Hi Everyone,

In my cleaning and discovering all my electrical supplies (see "Is It Just Me or ???"), I came across this Houseworks Lighting control Panel. I believe it was originally made by Illinois Hobbycraft in the 80s, and Houseworks bought it when they closed.

Has anyone out there installed one before? It says it controls up to 8 circuits and has the ability to dim some of the lighting circuits. I am about to start to work out my schematic for my Garfield wiring, and wondering if there are any tips someone could share on this.

I need to plan for a place to mount it (and hide it) so I can easily use it and access it. I was thinking I could use a circuit for each floor, and one for exterior lighting, and leave myself an option for fireplaces on another circuit.

Matt

Ohhhh that looks awesome! Hm..I don't think it's available from HW in any way but what about looking at such places as Micro-Mark ?

That store deals with everything having to do with miniatures..and that includes railroad electrical adaptations too...so if anyone has something like this, they would.

Hey, after looking at that, I want one too!

J

I'm jump'n in the way-back machine to a time when I knew a bit about electronics. :w00t:

gallery_4762_4011_61675.jpg

I found this picture of the back of the board & added how I think it should be set up, (disclaimer: no I don't have one nor have I installed one, so not responsible for anything.) :)

I assume those are screws to attach the wiring & components? The holes in each corner probably had spacers/sleeves on them so screws could be used to attach the board to the dollhouse with some clearance...

The blue dotted line area I think is either for resistors or diodes - to make the lights dimmer (there are 4 total (1 - 4) I only outlined the 1st one. Cir-Kit sells a 3 pk #CK1100 of 680 ohm dropping resistors?? You can probably get these at Radio Shack. Matt did any other parts come with the board?

And the fuse would have to match the transformer. At the transformer connections there seems to be some print > [??V] ?

All of these parts could be purchased at Radio Shack or other electronics stores. For instance the DIP switches come in different shapes, sizes, orientation & types.

I think I have some simple circuit diagrams & components somewhere that might be of value to GL members. I feel a tutorial coming on... :(

I do have all the components with the board. Including 3 diodes for the dimming the lights (I'm just not sure the use for the dimming other than possibly using for a chandelier with lower lighting). I was just wondering if anyone had used one before and had any tips! I am excited to get it installed.

Since it has 8 switches I thought I would wire my Garfield as:

#1 - 1st floor ceiling lights

#2 - 1st floor wall sockets

#3 - Exterior lights

#4 - 2nd floor ceiling lights

#5 - 2nd floor wall sockets

#6 - Attic ceiling

#7 - Attic wall sockets

#8 - Flickering Fireplaces

Oh my gosh!!! :)

I was looking for something like that!! For my MacPherson Farm, I have all the wires pulled to the back and was going to use a 40W transformer with two or more power strips for all the plugs. I was going to buy an electrical connector block to easily hook all three items together, but I Like this solution better. Now I will look for this type of "connection" gizmo.

OK ,,, let's have a tutorial ...

:w00t:

It's so funny how things all come together and happen at the same time...I just saw one of these listed on ebay and was wondering what it is and how it would be used! I don't know if anyone still makes them, but you can try bidding on the one - it should be easy to find. Best of luck!

Would it look too bad to build a utility shed attached inconspicuously to the side of the house at the back, with removable front so you can access your panel, and drool ivy vines or rosses up that wall to make it quaint?