Zero clearance turntables

shannonc60

Has anyone ever made one? I can get the regular round turntables from the hardware store. But I'd like a zero clearance one, which would cost heaps to ship to Australia. Does anyone have any idea how one could be made, or where I'd find instructions? Thanks!

Yo, Shannon, check with hardware stores to see what they have for "lazy susan" hardware. You mount one side in the center of the table and mount the other side to the center of the base your dh will sit upon.

Holly, that's what Shannon is trying to avoid. The zero clearance turntable works on double principles of turning and sliding so the house and landscaping board can hug the wall and not have to stick way out into the room to accomodate the width of the board used as the base. (That's what I'm trying to avoid by making the Beacon Hill front opening.)

See it here.

I've studied the pics on their website, and I reckon I can kind of work it out, but not sure of the actual mechanism, particularly that keeps the top plate in place on the track. I reckon it's a little like those folding walls that hang on tracks that are in offices - movable walls? Operable walls? Anyways, they slide along a track on the ceiling then you twist them to push them flat against a side wall. This is a pic here.

how 'bout drawer slides (cheap @ HomeDepot) mounted on top of a table, kinda like a computer key board slide out, but upside down. The slide out panel would have a turn table attached to it. :) Slide out the panel then spin the dollhouse on the turn table 180 degrees then slide the house back again up against the wall...voila...

i'll draw a pic for you... :) :lol: ;)

I think this could probably be built fairly easily...building the sliding part first, then mounting it on the turntable. I bet one of our building wizards, can figure this out. It's not a sin to make one for yourself, only to sell them to others.

VERY cool gadget. I would be interested in owning one.

J

Ahhh, Mike and Jeanne, you are champions. I think you're right on the money there. I might have a fiddle around one weekend when I get a hold of some bits for the job.

Given that the house I want to turn is almost square, I wouldn't need to pull it too far out from the wall to turn it. Alternatively, if it was attached to the top of a sturdy chest of drawers, there may be enough weight in the drawers to stop it tipping.

Just beware of one thing. I purchased a zero clearance table a few years ago and ended up getting rid of it. If you want a table of this type to just display a finished house it would be perfect for that. If you plan on building a house while sitting on such a table it is impossible due to the wobble.

Valerie