Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

*to the sound of coffee cups and spoons tinkling*....*to the sound of silverware being accidently dropped on the ground*.....*Patsy Cline is singing in the background*....anyone want to chat about the build? Im at the point of adding the front wall with the windows. Stair case is mostly done,but I want to do something different with the top of the newel posts,maybe make some half rounds with polymer clay to go on top of the square that sits on top of the posts. Im also thinking of doing real glass so I have to figure that one out before I add this front wall. To procrastinate Im finishing up the interior paint and wallpaper and wood floors. Waiting for trim supplies to arrive from HBS. I feel like Im building this house from the inside out! Its really exciting to see the exterior take shape, Im intimidated but still excited to get to that roof.

Where are you in your progress?

My house is on temporary hiatus-I have the basic frame up-Need to finish priming it.Due to a family member staying in family room which is my craft room.Once he's moved out,the work will continue

Mine is on hold, but I should be back to it soon. I am 95% done, and am itching to get back to it.

I have some exterior trim left, and repairs where I had to go in and fix some of the electrical wiring. It is my first build, I started it about a year and a half ago, and wish that I had done some things differantly, I had no clue what I was doing when I started it! But I have enjoyed building it.

Mine was built when I found it, but I've done many renovations! I don't think this house will ever be done . . . I just installed new doors to all the rooms and am contemplating replacing the balcony doors. Oh, and I'm re-wallpapering (yes, again!) the kitchen. Just have to because the food looks so pretty and the wallpaper doesn't do it justice . . . so will be getting to that once my order arrives.

Ah, the list goes on . . .

uh oh...I'm behind. Mine is still sitting in the box under the china cabinet. Sounds like I'm not alone. Patsy Cline better change over to William Tell Overture! On Yer March, get set, get out those box cutters, folks!

I don't think I can chat much yet, but I'd love to listen and ask questions when I get stumped!

Its been very challenging for me,Ive built probably 6 houses before this one,but in some ways I feel like this is my first real build,because of its detail and size. This is definitly a house that you have to get it right from the first,or nothing will fit together later. Hope you all start yours soon so I have someone to talk to and whine with!

I've opened the box, read the directions, planned *lots* of changes, bought extra wood, and ordered supplies. So it exists a lot more in my head than in real life, where it is still basically a bunch of sheets of wood waiting to be put together! But I did do a door mock up the other day (picture in gallery) so at least I've done something! I'm hoping to get a real start in the next two weekends.

• Like 1

Oh, I wish I had some progress to share! I had planned to start on it over Spring Break, but I found out my niece from Texas will be visiting here over her 6th birthday, so I decided to build her a house, since they will be able to drive it back with them. So that has to take priority right now. But then, I worked on the real house during break, and NO dollhouse progress was made. :w00t:

But I am so ready to start my BH. I have a lot of furniture and wallpaper fot it already. Hopefully in a month...

I'll still be here in a month Tracy;)

Nicole I love what you did with those doors,mine will be different too,but not as fancy. You can at least get your base built! Did you see the pictures in the gallery of the BH being built with a working dumbwaiter in it? I cant wait to see how that house comes out,its looking incredible, the trim is out of this world.Also some awesome inspiration pictures in the album of a real house,similar to the BH.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...&album=1097

(I dont know if I did that right...its HBMini's gallery.

Jackie,you did sucha nice job with the colors,I see you upgraded the balcony railing,it looks really nice. I think I'll end up doing the plastic iron fencing look up there. Cant decide if thats window or a patio door(for me),have to figure that out soon.

Thank you Karin. I'm glad you like my house.

When I first started I thought it would take me 3 years. Now that 3 years has come and gone I realize it is going to take me alot more than 3 years. Good thing I never need to use my dining room for eating. This last year has been really slow building because work was so busy.

I think I have gotten all the major modifications done, so once I get those pesky windows done, I will be able to move on to something more fun. I have so many ideas in my head. Hopefully they will make it into my house.

Marcy

my beacon is my favourite...would love to do another but for now i'll revamp this one as i see new ideas :flowers:

i'll join the get together...skinny moo in my coffee thanks :ohyeah:

The interior doors have not been touched, I don't like what came with it and not sure how to improve them, so they have been ignored for now. I really wish I had built something else first, it has been overwhelming at times. On the other hand.

I found a built BH at the flea market, the owner of the stall was not there, so I don't know what they want for it. A coworker goes to the flea market all the time and says it has been there for a year and is going to check on it for me. My DH is stunned that I would even consider another one, but it looked so forgotten and needs a lot of work, but after working on mine I think it would be fun to just bash away on it.

Sipping my Hazelnut Latte....(I wish)(just drinking Folgers) How long did yours take you from start to finish Linda?

Jackie I cant believe that house has been there for a year!

Today my plans are to get some picture rail up in the bdrm above the kitchen. I decided to do picture rail instead of chair rail. I dont plan a bathroom in this house,no interior plumbing and no electric lights. This is a remote country house. Probably belonged to an eccentric Writer. I havent decided about that yet. Still a mystery. Yesterday I layed the wood floor in that room. Im also working toward getting the front wall with the windows together,get the wall treatments on it. I imagine that would be almost impossible after its in place. Still undecided about real glass,but leaning that way.

Karin, Real glass sounds great, it would look so nice! I cracked 1 of my plastic windows when I put the window in, it is a small crack and is hard to spot, I didn't see it until a bit later. The dormer windows were very hard!!

Karin- thanks for the link yo HBMini's gallery. I had seen it several weeks ago when I was looking to see if anyone had done a dumb waiter. I'm adding a basement kitchen with a butler's pantry above, so I need a dumb waiter and was thrilled to find her instructions. But even happier now to see the progress- wow!

It's so exciting to see everyone's progress- keep the pictures coming! I think I'll be able to start mine by Memorial Day weekend. In the meantime, I have doors to make and two puzzle houses to work on for my daughter. Good thing she's only 9 months old. There's hope at least those will get done in the next few years. I think the Beacon Hill is a lifetime commitment!

Karin,

mine took about 4 months start to finished decorating/landscaping

BUT it was built up to 2nd floor when i got it, stairs already in so i couldnt paint them the way i wanted just had to adapt as i went

i did pull most of the walls to wood glue them as the seller had used hot glue so i suppose i sorta started from scratch :)

i'd build another if i could afford one or even find one here in Australia as the shipping doubles the kit price :grrr:

great thread :) i hope to get new ideas and apply them to mine :(

My beacon hill is still under the bed demanding to be brought out. I have opened the box and looked at the instructions and yeah I think it looks just a wee bit imtimidating. She is also demanding that I finish up the other four houses that I am working on so she can have the whole work area!

I want to work on it so bad, but there never seems to be enough time to get what I wanted to get done cause there's always the kids, parks, lunches, hot dinners, dreadful house work, laundry, you know that life stuff.

Three years dosn't sound that long to me. :p

I have to work on my real house today....bummer.....

I did decide on glass windows,so Im going to find a glass shop to cut it for me,my hubby usually does it,but the arch would be too hard to do by hand. Maybe I could get some of the glass etched :p

Nicole, it has to be extra thin glass,regular is too thick. It can be purchased,the only place Ive found that sells it,specifically for dollhouses is Earth and Tree Miniatures...but I use the glass (very thin) that comes with document frames at the Dollar Store. I dont know if its as thin as the real dollhouse glass,but I think the scale is just fine. Ive used it in quite a few projects. If you havent used real glass before,honestly it gives a whole different feel to the house,(literally,when you pick it up it (the house)it feels different)its just an extra special touch. Its easy to measure,cut with a hand held glass cutter (you can get those at Home Depot,etc.(cheap))just score and snap. I super glue it in place,never had a problem with it staying in place(knock on wood)and put the trim over the top. The only problem is I really like the white tracing that is on the plastic sheets,tried to duplicate it with white pin striping (made for cars),but didnt like that. So,by using real glass Id be giving up that detail,dont know,dont know.....