Builders Foam “Stone” or “Brick” Tutorial

steelwoolghandi

Builders Foam "Stone" or "Brick" Tutorial

Here I will explain how to take Owens Corning Insulating Sheathing or "Builders Foam" and make it into a nice looking Stone or Brick wall. We will be making a Stone wall (sandstone) out of the material today.

The Foam comes in pink or blue material and can be purchased at most Building Supply Stores and is usually found in the wood or paneling section. Note most foams, such as packing foam or Styrofoam will not work because its put together as little beads of foam and it falls apart an those beads go everywhere! The beads also show up on the face when painted and it just looks like painted foam. The builder's foam is tight and no beads so will look more realistic when painted. ALWAYS use water-based paint when painting your foam (other types will melt the foam).

1. Pick your foam, I am using the pink here and using the side that has no writing on it. (It does not mater because you will not see the writing when you paint over it but it's easier for me to see the lines I wish to highlight.

gallery_3900_2631_135997.jpg

gallery_3900_2631_27866.jpg

2. I take the foam and I remove the layer of plastic film that is on it so I can get to the foam easy and when painting you don't want the film coming off and running your paint job.

gallery_3900_2631_104689.jpg

3. Take your pencil and randomly make your marks on the foam to look like rocks, just be free with the lines, small ones, and big ones and in between. Don't worry if you break the corners a bit on your rocks you will see it adds to the realism when you paint it.

gallery_3900_2631_26060.jpg

4. I use some tools to make some indentions and form the rocks a little more to add to the Realism. These tools came with my Exacto-Knife and so you should be able to get them at a hobby shop or use something in the house like the back of a spoon or even a nail file.

gallery_3900_2631_100448.jpg

5.Take and smooth the sides down all around the stones letting some stay up and make sure you add some texture to the face of the stone. Once you have enough texture and are happy with the way the stones look your ready for paint.

med_gallery_3900_2631_93476.jpg

6. Put your darkest coat on and paint the whole stone wall make sure you get it deep into the lines. Since this material is pink make sure you none of its showing after the paint. I chose to use Burnt umber as the base; it will show up as the grout in the wall and also as the darker color in the stone. Now the wait as it dries………

gallery_3900_2631_48747.jpg

7. I now added Golden brown, its not looking like sandstone yet but it will trust me, once you have the base coats on and the highlights the rest is just getting the light colored paint the way you want it. You can use any type of colors including grays or even reds to make brick. To make Brick just draw the bricks in straighter lines and use lighter colors for the grout and the reds and browns for the bricks.

med_gallery_3900_2631_18873.jpg

8. Once the base colors are dry you add the lighter coats with dry brushing I used Country Tan for the lighter coat, Dry Brushing: this is where you take the brush get paint on it and wipe off as much as you can until the brush is almost dry, then use stroking motions to wipe across the stone to highlight the edges.

med_gallery_3900_2631_39878.jpg

9. Now the last coat is the Dry Brushing of white vary dry and just edges and such to highlight the stone and make it really stand out!

10. you can now use this for fireplaces, stone wall or underpinning for your house, The foam is easy to use and lightweight. I rushed a bit thru this tutorial but you can get even better results if you take your time and let the paint dry a little longer. If the material is to thick you can always trim the back of it off to make it fit.The paints I use are just cheap $89 cent paints you can get at your local store. So you don't have to spend much money to get a nice wall built.

gallery_3900_2631_19125.jpg

Edited by steelwoolghandi

GREAT tutorial! When do we get the brick tutorial? :) Actually, I'm really curious because I want a brick wall in my cellar.. this tutorial takes care of the stone floor I wanted! And it sounds easier than the paperclay I was going to do!

I have used this method for a outside room box, the brick version, but i never thought of cutting it down! thanks!! I also Use builders foam for bashing, platforms, thicker walls window seats etc, I pay 5 dollars for a BIG sheet of half inch stuff at home depot it is in with the insulation. (at least there)

Thank You so much, This looks so easy and something I can do. and not too messy or time consuming.!!!

I do have a question.:

What is the thickness of the foam? I or should I say the Franklin wants brick on its exterior...

and I dont want it to be too thick. Would the foam be too thick on the dollhouse itself?

Otherwise I have a wonderful Idea for this.... I cannot wait to get some of this.. But I MUST get the work area cleaned up.!!

kellee

I do have a question.:

What is the thickness of the foam? I or should I say the Franklin wants brick on its exterior...

and I dont want it to be too thick. Would the foam be too thick on the dollhouse itself?

kellee

The thickness is 1/2" (they do have thicker up to 2") but the nice thing about this foam is you can cut it down if its to thick, just shave off the back of the foam and then apply it to the area with the same type of glue you use (as long as its a water based glue).

Holly, the cover plastic peels off quite easily. I use this foam for bases. It's easy to carve, paint, and glue in flowers, trees, etc. I am planning to use it to make the fireplace/stairway in the White Orchid. Now I'm looking forward to using it for stonework, too. The fireplace may not be as starkly white as I first envisioned it. Thanks for the inspiration, Aaron!