Wow! Explosion

Wolfie

this morning I turned on the oven to make blueberry muffins and was preparing the batter, when I heard a loud noise from the oven....I opened the door to see it burning! The heating element was on fire! I shut the oven door quick and turned off the oven....and the kitchen began to fill up with smoke. I ran to call Doug and got him the fire extinguisher and he came down. I went to the basement and turned off the electricl switch to the stove and the fire went out but he had sprayed the inside with the fire extinguisher and the smoke was thick. He called 9-1-1- and what a morning we had....oh well, I never liked that stove anyway!

two hours later we called Sears and we are getting a new stove installed on the 13th! Better than the one we had! Thank goodness for our BBQ and smoker, at least we can heat things up and roast things in the smoker, and I smell wonderful ribs and steaks from the BBQ. We also have a dearth of electrical applicances and the microwave to see us through until the 13th......

What an exciting morning. The house is all aired out, and we have taken pictures for the insurance people..... Yes, we have been in touch with the insurance company and an adjuster will be here on Monday. I will not be missing the Jennaire, as the model we chose has not been good to us.

We are OK. A little coughy still from the smoke but it's going away!

Sheesh Wolfie, I go offline for a few hours.... Well happy to hear that you are all OK and that you will get a new stove soon, and in the meantime, cold cuts will diminish the cooking time freeing up more mini-ing time :p

You take care now!

Hugs

Scary!! Glad everyone is ok and that you're getting a new oven!

How long does it take the fire brigade to get to you? I have this impression that you're quite far from civilisation, though it could just be that it's especially far in snow.

Oh, Yikes!! Wasn't that a pretty new stove?? And a Jenn-aire?? That's what I have!!

I'm so glad you and Doug are OK, and there isn't more damage! The smell from that sort of thing can linger and linger, getting into fabrics throughout the house. I hope indeed it'll be OK when you close up the house again. Take care!

What a nasty surprise! Thankfully, no-one was hurt, and you will end up with a stove that you like - fingers crossed. That could easily have turned into a tragedy. I'm so very glad you're okay.

You IMO rough it already. Now you are going to have to really rough it.

I want pics of you with a camp stove cooking by the fire while Doug is singing songs about the wilderness!

What an awful scare! I'm glad to hear that you and Doug are okay. Did you manage to get the smoke out of the house? That smell can so quickly latch onto fabrics.

Glad that you're getting a new stove - have you had the Jenn-aire removed from the house yet?

Hugs

-Susanne

Gina

I am so glad you and Doug are fine. What a morning you had with the fire. It's good you caught the fire early and were able to put it out. Turning off the power was a smart thing to do. Did the smoke damage any of your kitchen?

That happened in my oven when I lived in the apartment but we didn't get any smoke. I opened the door and the heating element was on fire and broke in half but no smoke. I was preheating it. I was surprized it didn't flip the circuit breaker. The landlord put in a new stove, a total bare bones model without even a clock. Glad you're OK and hope the smoke odor clears quickly.

So many questions........ Our Jenn-Aire was 11 years old......so if you have purchased a newer one, it's bettern mine!

It took 35 minutes for the FD to reach us......toe tapping time! But I was too busy openining windows and calming the dog and cats to take notice! I did yellat the lead guy "NO AXES!!!!!" He laughed...... Cleaning up is messy....the powder from what the FD used is blue and sticks to everything, plus the Fire extinguisher Doug used left lots of white residue. The smell? Awful! But I'm calmer now.... Doug called the insurance company and we're going to be OK. The FD did say that the coil was faulty, not our fault, and he made note of that in his book. I sat down about an hour ago and had a good relief cry. It felt good. All that tension, I was a wreck. No need to camp out, got lots of ways to cook! The smoker does wonderful roasts and pizzas, and loaves of bread. The BBQ makes wonderful ribs and steaks.....and other things, and all of my electrical appliances. microwave, etc., are being put to work. We will get the new stove on the 13th. They only deliver here in Seeley Lake once a month.....so that is when it is coming ..........

Now that it is over I have time to think about how serious it might have been and as I look around me, I am very grateful it wasn't as serious as it might have been. I'm still a bit shaky, but the neighbors all came over and now I feel better. Some even offered me the use of their house to cook, but I have demonstrated that we are OK in that department. My hands are still shaking though.....

So which one did you get new?

All the bells and whistles... I want a new stove. If there is ANY refund this year, it will be a coin toss between a new stove or a new fridge.

:hug: What a horrible experience Wolfie! So glad you are both OK and that the damage seems to have been minimal.

I have to admit - I chuckled out loud when you mentioned the FD and axes - those boys can do some serious damage - I know first-hand! We had a house fire back in '91 and they demolished my son's room - came right through the windows with their trusty axes! They could have walked right through the backdoor - fire was no where near there, but oh no...they had to hack their way in!! :lol: :gathering:

At any rate, glad you're alright! Hope your new stove behaves and you and Doug can enjoy those muffins on the 14th.