Waterslide Decals (or: how I made my miniature spode platter)

Elsbeth

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I posted - mainly because I have been enjoying all the eyecandy, and waiting for someone (either insane or inhuman) to post the perfectly finished Beacon Hill on craigslist. Well, that isn't going to happen any time soon, so I busied myself with a project - my goal was to make some blue and white china plates without spending $1000 on stokesayware.

Seriously - I think a dinner set of stokesay is $1000 with the dollar being what it is.

Anyway - as much as I love stokesay, I decided to experiment with a set of china for $2.99..and 20 sheets of waterslide decal for $17. I guess I could have spent less there as I only need 5 pages to really have all the dishes I could fit into my house.

Waterslide decal is soooo much fun to work with! I am china pattern INSANE now.

Anyway - here are photos of my dear little platter - while it is not perfect, it was a good test subject. You can see the original pink flowers beneath the decal...and there are some slits and bubbles that could have been avoided - ah well, next time.

For now, I am pleased.

Here are some pics:

mini_spode4.jpg

mini_spode2.jpg

mini_spode.jpg

Here are some more items I made - I made some burleigh calico plates, but left the pattern large because I wanted to enjoy looking at the calico. I made a more scaled little dish of sorts (upper left). The terracotta plate is a lovely plate by Barb. I tried making a spode plate (above the thimble) too.

mini_spode3.jpg

Oooh - thanks for the kid words and encouragement!

I will post a tutorial with proper photos (because I don't think one exists!) - but for now, I'll give you the basic info to do your own experiments - it really is worth playing around with this decal paper!

What I used:

-Decal paper. I got mine at decalpaper.com and the service was great. http://www.decalpaper.com/category-s/2.htm

There are two kinds for doing your own printing - laser and inkjet. I used the inkjet (don't get the laser if you don't have a laser printer, and so on - get the right paper for your printer). There are also two kinds of paper types - clear or white. I order a "mix" which had sheets of both. I prefer the white paper as it makes the colors pop more and can cover up the lesser quality plate defects of a cheap china set.

There are decal papers for wood and ceramics (papers that fire or don't fire onto the ceramic, etc) stick with the home craftsy inkjet or laser paper if you are like me and need to keep it simple.

-Clear acrylic sealer (I used Plaid/Patricia Nimocks Matte sealer - the decal paper instructions will say to use gloss, but I found either works, and since I seal my plates with gloss later, matte is fine - up to you)

-White china plates. I used mostly white plates with gold trim - but my plates had little roses on them. I told myself for $2.99 (for a big old set of platters, bowls cups saucers, salad plates, sandwich trays, etc - on sale at manorhouse minis) that I could work with the roses. I should have painted over them or something because the pink roses are slightly visible through my decals - enough so that I can see it and worry about it. I DO love the gold trim and it looks good with the decals, so I'd do that again. I hope to find a plain white with gold trim set somewhere. Or just plates. I *do* recommend real china/ceramic and not plastic because there is something marvelous about the look and feel of this faux transferware.

How I did it:

1 - I measured my plate diameter.

2 - I found reasonably well sized (close ups) of transferware I liked and in an imaging program I resized the plate to my little plate's diameter. Remember you can trim the decal according to your plate's scalloping or shape later - but it's good to get as close to the shape as possible. Replacements.com has some nice photos of plates.

3 - Do a test print on regular paper - see if your prints fit your plates.

4 - if all looks good - print on the decal paper according to directions (choose best resolution, photo paper options, etc for your printer)

5 - after printing, spray the sheet with the acrylic sealer. Spray 3 coats and spray evenly.

6 - Let dry for 45 minutes.

7 - Cut out the decals the way you want them to fit onto the plate

8 - drop decal into a small cup of water, watch it curl up - after 20 - 30 seconds, take it out and slip it onto your clean little plate.

9 - smooth any air bubbles out (there won't be many with something this small) - use a tiny brush if you like, or just rub a finger (carefully) or dry cloth over it.

10 - let it dry (it shrinks a bit and tightens up just a bit)

VOILA - miniature detailed transfeware (or copies of your favorite china)

Thanks for the info and they really look great...I'm going to have to try this for sure!!!!!

PS - If you hadn't said anything about the pink flowers showing through I wouldn't have noticed them.

Edited by eglefther

Well the pink flowers didn't show on my monitor, and I looked long & hard! (I did see one of the places where the decal tried to mess up, it looked like a hairline crack, like some of my grandmother's Haviland pieces.

Your dishes are absolutely beautiful! I have to tell you though, being the tightwad that I am, I got a knot in my stomach when I saw how much you paid for the decal stuff. You can get the same results by printing your designs on ordinary white tissue paper, as in gift wrapping tissue paper. Run a glue stick across the top of a piece of copier paper, stick a piece of tissue paper to it, and run it through your printer. After I cut out my decals I coat my dishes with clear nail polish then immediately put the decals on. I don't seal the tissue paper with acrylic spray because I believe the nail polish is made of acrylic. Anyway, the nail polish doesn't make the ink run. After the dishes dry I give them two more coats of nail polish. Holly didn't surrender her title of "Biggum of Cheap" for nothing!

Holly didn't surrender her title of "Biggum of Cheap" for nothing!
Begum is a Moslem princess in India. You will notice that I have, indeed, surrendered my title to you, Susan. I scatter rose petals on the path before you and dance a dance of 14 veils, sort of like a baby hippo, in your honor.

Looks great ande this gives me hope of actually be able to make the dinnerware I want for the Santa's house as well... Now I just need the terracotta bases :blink: and some decal papers to get started ...

Hugs and thanks for sharing!

Now I just need the terracotta bases :D and some decal papers to get started ...

Ummm ... terracotta's red. I think you mean porcelain, unless you're doing some ethnic pottery. And look at Susan's post #14 -- you don't need the expensive decal paper. Regular white tissue paper works, too! :blink:

I've ordered some cheap dishes (see post #13 for link) and was glad to see the tissue paper hint before I ordered the decal paper! Thanks, Susan!

Ummm ... terracotta's red. I think you mean porcelain, unless you're doing some ethnic pottery. And look at Susan's post #14 -- you don't need the expensive decal paper. Regular white tissue paper works, too! :blink:

I've ordered some cheap dishes (see post #13 for link) and was glad to see the tissue paper hint before I ordered the decal paper! Thanks, Susan!

Well for the "Christmassy" dinnerware, this is the ones we use ourselves which I would love having replicas of in the Santa's cottage as well:

But I am also so looking forward to making my own sets of plates later on for Mz Chantilly when she has cupboards of her own...

Hugs