Made a Stanley Stove

I needed a narrow stove for my tiny Orchid kitchen and so I made one using the base of one of those famous Michael's hutches. Here's the inspiration picture I found online:

post-2716-1213235480_thumb.jpg

Here's mine (although still missing knobs):

post-2716-1213235453_thumb.jpg

I cut off the top of the hutch and pulled off the doors. I covered the front and created the back and doors with balsa. The pipe is a flexible straw. The hinges are the cut ends of toothpicks (non-working). I would have preferred to cut outlines for the stove lids so that they would be flush with the surface but I'm just not ready to cut neat curves yet. The flower shapes are mini paper flowers I found and then painted with silver paint. I painted the entire piece with silver first before covering it with black paint to still keep a metallic/gritty texture underneath.

It's nice to find a piece that I can make with my limited skills. ;)

• Like 1

Good job! Yours looks better than the original. What are the famous Michaels hutches?

Thanks, Pat! You're so kind!

Michaels Arts and Crafts stores sell several varieties of dollhouse size hutches and cupboards and they are only $1! It's amazing what people have done with them...you should take a look at what Grazhina in particular has created. I know that there have been a couple of conversation strands about it.

With only $1 to lose, you can't go wrong. ;)

What a neat idea. Putting silver paint under the black is something I'll have to try. There are no Michaels around here but I had one close before I moved here. I've used the hutches for other things but the stove turned out great. I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.

that is just great. Like it was said, I never would have guess that was a Michael's Hutch. I was just looking at those yesterday. And I love the flexiable straw idea for the stove pipe. I bought a stove from a shop that was closing and it didn't come with stove pipe, next time I go to the store or diner I'm getting myself a flexie straw. Again Just a great job.

WOW !!!! I am blown away by this gorgeous piece.

I have a whole plastic tub of all the varieties of the Michaels hutches. Some have plans but others were purchased "just because." Now one has a new destiny.

Now all we need is for you to create a tutorial for the stove and we'll all be as creative as you are - well, not really, cuz we'll be copycats - but anyhow, it is gorgeous.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Now all we need is for you to create a tutorial for the stove and we'll all be as creative as you are - well, not really, cuz we'll be copycats - but anyhow, it is gorgeous.

Hey that's a GREAT idea!! ;) hint hint