Selkie

Choosing reference materials  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Best option for a limited budget

• Dollhouse Miniatures
    • Miniature Collector
    • Amercian Miniaturist
    • Some other (please add name)

Just wondering what to choose. My DH says I can select one reference magazine. I have seen all three at craft stores but never at the same time or with any consistency. I have one copy of each listed and am perplexed as to which would provide me with the most benefit over the long haul, especially as a newer person to dh-ing and on a somewhat limited budget for the project as a whole - building, furniture, lighting, and decorating.

Thanks ahead of time for your advice on this one.

I couldn't give an answer in your poll since I subscribe to all three but if I only had one choice, I think I would go with AM. Although I was so pleased with my second issue of Dollhouse Miniatures that it would be a toss up. Good luck on whichever one you decide on, they are all terrific.

All three magazines are up to almost US$7/ copy at the newsstand with the content so variable from month-to-month that when my current subscription to American Minaturist runs out I shall have to let it go. I have a HUMONGOUS library of DIY books, I don't think we paid full retail for a half-dozen of them. Watch out for mini magazines and books at thrift shops, yard & rummage sales as well as used book stores, "remaindered" bookstores (like Book Sale), library book sales, etc. There are several online sources for used and deeply discounted books, too.

Since Ashdown has pulled DHM off the newsstands & I've never seen AM out in public except at the ever-dwindling miniature stores, Miniature Collector is at present the only one you can still buy by the copy; although with maybe only one DIY article in the whole magazine, when there is one, and as skimpy as the last two issues I've seen were, at the abovementioned newsstand price I can't afford it on my "fixed" income.

I am with Havanaholly. Those mini mags just aren't worth the price anymore.

I buy a lot of used miniature books from Alibris.com. Some of them are dirt cheap! I go to their site and put in Dollhouses or miniatures and get many choices. The nice thing about their site is you can get the same book from several different dealers and they all have different prices. They discribe the condition of the book etc. right there and you can pick an choose. You can also search by author title or ISBN# if you know it.

Some of the older books are way better than the new ones anyway. One that comes to mind is "The Complete Book of Making Miniatures-for room settings and dollhouses". It is by Thelma R Newman and Virginia Merrill. It was written back in the 70s. It is still one of the best, most comprehensive miniature books around. It has 700 photographs and 23 color plates.

I have had this book from when it first came out and I still use it quite a bit. It has everything that you could want to know about building, furnishing etc. It also has needlework patterns for rugs and other accessories. How tos on just about everything miniature.

I was looking on the Alibris site about a week ago and they had quite a few copies of that one. They started at 1.99 and went up from there.

I have 3 books that are from the same period by Helen Ruthberg. "The Book of Miniatures--furniture and accessories" "Miniature Room settings" and "Contemporary Miniature Room Settings". My copies of the first two of these are completely falling apart! I need to buy new copies. They are like old friends. They tell me what I need to know. I just checked on alibris. They have a very few of these too.

I hope this helps.

Http://www.alibris.com

I just put in Helen Ruthberg's name in the search on Alibris. There are enough copies of all three books for an army. :fish1: I'm replacing my two. The prices are great. Just be sure to read about condition and the seller's rating. I have never had any trouble ordering from them. I have to get off of that site right now before I go broke buying "inexpensive" books.......

Home decorating magazines (1:1 homes) will give you all sorts of ideas for things to make, once you start making some of your things. Patricia King's books are a wonderful to kick-start yourself into making wonderful items to furnish & accessorize your mini-mansion with "table-trash" and thrift store/ flea mardet finds.

I get 3/4 of my reference material online! It works for me! I can't afford to go out and buy all the mags and/or books in the world! So I research, and join groups, and learn all I can online!

I do not get any of the mags, cause of where I live, but I think the best point of referance is where we are, here on the forum!

There are picutres in every bodys gallerys, people blog, you can get any question you want answered, there is the ability to search hundred's of topics, and the people here you can trust.

Hey, I'd pay $7.00 a month just to get on this site!

Sometimes you do not realise how good the info is that you already have, until someone points it out.......And those mag's get our own members to be their cover girls &/or boys so what does that tell you!

I'm going to have a look at the 2nd hand book store and order a couple of them, but I think here is best!

Before the computer there were books; and when the computer crashes, gets eaten by a virus or just plain dies, there are books; and when the power's off and the battery in the 'puter dies, there are books. But, hey, I'm not just a bibliophile, I'm a bibliomaniac!

I've been going back and forth for a couple of months, now, about "which magazine??" should I buy..and just decided, NONE. I've got a year's worth here, with projects in them I haven't tackled; there are the wonderful tutorials on this site; I've got a half-dozen books that, while I've read them, I haven't done any of the projects IN them (well, I am making curtains..)...

so I really don't NEED those mags.

Like the others said, the books are wonderful, and you can get them used through a variety of sources, even through Amazon (if you get off their retail pages and go to the independent sellers)...

so that's what I'm gonna do.

I get all the mags, but truly they are a luxury. Some months I get some nice eye candy, but nothing I can use. If I could have only one, I suppose AM, or get the I-mag subscription to Dolls House World. It's 20 GBP (Around $40 for us Yanks) but always chock full of projects.

If money was very tight, then I would skip magazines completey. There are message boards, email groups, and online tutorials, all free. I would check out library books, such as the Venus Dodge books, and get project ideas from those sources. Save your money for your minis!

Thank you for all your input and advice.

I have been combing the internet and here on the forum, of course, for lots of things. The forum has been by far the most valuable to this point.

I have the "everything you always wanted to know" book and that big blue cover book (can't remember the name and my 1 yr. old grandson is asleep in the room where they are so I can't go look it up).

I was thinking that getting a publication of new ideas or the latest tricks might spur me on to higher aspirations. But, it sounds like most of you rely on other media for your inspirations and use the forum for specific questions and problems.

Thanks again. I appreciate knowing this so I don't waste the precious little dh $$'s on unnecessary items.

This forum and Small Stuff forum are have some of the best how-tos. I've also found that by just asking, I get so much help form everybody here.

You can also pick up some individual magazines from ebay that are quite reasonably priced.

-Susanne

Of the 25 dollhouse and miniatures reference books that I've collected, the three I've found to be the most helpful and the ones I always end up using for ideas and patterns to make furniture and accessories are, "The Dollhouse Decorator," by Vivienne Boulton, "Dollhouse Details," by Kath Dalmeny and "The Dollhouse Do-It-Yourself Book," by Venus and Marty Dodge.