Looking for suggestions

Violet2Dawn

:bounce8: :o Well, this year is bad, my hands are very dry, they feel like sandpaper, and they are starting to really crack. With my already sensitive skin I generally use Eucerin, but that hasn't been helping much lately. Since I have developed the bad-aid adhesive allergy I can't just slap one on like I used to until the cracks healed. I have also tried my super light rosecia moisturizer I use on my face, but that too isn't enough. I know I tend to wash my hands a lot, and I have tried to not do that as much, as the washing can be drying. Any suggestions for sensitive skin and this problem would be great. Thanks Dawn

ANY kind of petrolium is the WORST thing you can do to your hands!!

Don't do the vaseline EVER! It makes it so much worse!

I'm so sorry, I did not know this. I've not tried on my hands but have on my rough feet but have seen it suggested for hands.

Peggi, I'm sure you did'nt know. It's ok.

I happen to be allergic to latex gloves as well, and a main ingredient in those is petrolium.

It does work for those who do not have hyper allergetic skin but, those who are hypersensitive can have real bad reactions.

Hugs,

Monica

I have had the same problem over the years. My fingers crack near the nail and are most painful. A pharmacist told me about BAG BALM which you can get at the drug store. It is made in Vemont and is in a square green can. Absolutely wonderful. The 'bag' is in reference to a cow's udder which this product was originally used for. It is full of lanolin and quite greasy. I put it on my hands before going to bed and by morning it is all absorbed. Not only does it heal but it takes away the pain. Walgreen's here in Dallas sells it.

I, too, am a long-time fan of Bag Balm. It goes on greasy, but it soaks in pretty quickly. If Walgreen's doesn't have it, try a feed store. It's usually cheaper at a feed store.

Dawn, I am another who has very sensitive hands, and to keep them from cracking and bleeding at any time is a real problem. I had finally found a cream called Calendula Cream made by California Baby and couldn't believe how well it worked. They recommend it for cradle cap, diaper rash, exzema and it doesn't burn when you put it on. I was able to buy it for 2 years and had almost forgotten what sore hands felt like. All of a sudden the health store can't bring it across the border due to a problem with Health Canada.

This fall I ordered it from the company in California and shipping alone for 4 small jars was $34.95. It was still worth it, as there is nothing more annoying than dry, cracked and bleeding hands. If you can find this, give it a try as it is the only thing that has really worked for me after many, many years of other creams, lotions, prescriptions, etc.

Shirley

Calendula creams are available from other manufacturers too, available where alternative meds or organic foods are sold (Health food shops here). You might want to have a look around and see if you can find a cheaper alternative than importing them from canada, at least until your local shop gets them back in stock.

In the UK we have something called Aqueous cream (emulsifying ointment 30%, phenoxyethanol 1% in freshly boiled and cooled purified water) which we in the pharmacy recommend you use instead of soap when washing hands. It stops them drying out from the soap.

I've used a product called Aveeno Cream which is oat based and fantastic. It soaks into the skin really quickly and lasts a long time. When I've put it on my face, I've felt the affects 48 hours later. Don't think it'll last that long on your hands, but might help. Also don't know if its available in the USA.

Good luck, I hope you find something. Your doctor or nurse (who often seem to have a good knowledge of topical products for skin conditions) should be able to suggest something too.

Does it itch? My friend gets bad eczema on her hands when she is stressed out.

Bag Balm is the best for this as others have said. It is made from lanolin.

You can also use what my mother used on us as kids. Extra Virgin Olive oil. You only need a lil bit. Use it at night before you go to bed. My girls use it on their elbows when they get dry skin there.

OMG, too many choices.

I know I don't do well with vaseline so that is out.

I do use Berts Bees for my cuticles now, like it

The Neutrogena Norwegen I have never seen nor the Calendula stuff, I will have to search for those.

Bag Balm, I just don't care for, I have used it in the past

The Gold Bond is new, and I am tempted to try that

Olive oil is a possible as it is natural, neutral

Aveeno and I don't get along, a fragrance issue

No it does not itch, just feels like sandpaper and is so dry.

THANKS FOR ALL THE IMPUT, I will let you all know in a few days what has been working.

I have Udder Balm here and it hasn't helped me at all. Yet DH swears by it. I'm an Avon rep so of course, my choice is Moisture Therapy Intensive for extremely dry skin. I love it and use it nightly for my hands and feet and it doesn't have that terribly greasy feeling.

Dawn,

If you are in the area (NL) go to Rite Aid on Broad street (maybe a local one near you will have it too). In the lotion potion aisle that have a slew of stuff on clearance 75% off. I picked up a jar of Pure Spring body souffle. It was only $1.99 so I thought I would give it a try. It is amazing. Natalie put it on her dry hands and they were like butter afterward.

I do not care for bag (udder) balm either. My hands get so dry that if I make a fist, they just crack open and bleed. I use mineral oil and slip on white gloves (like for dress up, not latex) I do the same with my feet and wear white socks to bed. I also use the moisture therapy intensive. Do you wear gloves when you go outside? I put on gloves even if I am just going to the mailbox (no coat, just gloves) It helps a lot.

I wear gloves outside all the time, my son laughs at me.

I wear non latex gloves in the garden all the time, under regular garden gloves

I wear non latex gloves to do kitchen chores with any foods that irrate my skin, like onions and peppers

I have tried a few and so far I am liking "Gold Bond Body Lotion, Extra Strength, Triple Action Relief with aloe and VT E" It is in a green bottle, and has a very light scent...........so far it is doing well. Not greasy, and light it soaks in and stay for a bit. I have noticed improvements

No sigh of the Norwegen formula anything. Tried Eucerin's ointment formula, but it had too much petrolium in it for me, I itiched upon contact. Still have olive oil in reserve................

Thanks Guys!!!

Even with my skin allergies I can use Vaseline to keep my skin hydrated; lanolin also works for me, olive oil's too light. As I get older & my skin thins out it gets dryer, and eventually I supposed I'll have to immerse myself.

Oh yeah, I can see that comming. Sorry honey cant shower I am taking an olive oil bath. OMG what would that do the the pipes.................yikes clogs.................

I have often wondered about investing in one of those hat wax things for my hands. I have had that done before and it does leave them soft and supple. IDK