purple bathroom I

havanaholly

Inspired by Patricia King's "Magnificent Dolphin" I knew the theme I wanted for an over-the-top William Morris-era bathroom.

The commode bowl is a seasnail shell and the bathtub is half a bivalve shell. I sculpted the bases out of white polymer clay, the commode wtool is a dolphin and the bathtub is ocean waves cloven by a fish's tail. I spray painted them both glossy white, as well as the shell I used for the lavatory basin. The base is also a shell and the pedestal is a barnacle whose colors went so well with those in the bathroom I didn't have the heart to paint it.

I cut the commode seat & lid from 1/8" thick basswood after tracing around the finished stool for a pattern. I stained it oak & made hinges from minute scraps of chamois so they could be opened or closed separately. Can we say "OCD"?

All the plumbing is polyclay spray painted aluminum. I crocheted the bathmat alternating rows of single & double crochet. The rug is a bit of iron-on tim I found in a thrift store. I made the commode tank from a cut-down jelly container, a bit of chain from a $Tree necklace and a scrap of paper doily.

I made the bead curtain by stringing a brass bead onto a piece of sewing thread and tying it near one end and then alternately stringing brown tubular and bronze & amber seed glass beads with a few more of the brass beads and tying the other end to a piece of 1/8" dowel I cut to fit the doorway and painted eggplant to match the trim.

From the album:

the McKinley

· 24 images
  • 24 images
  • 0 comments
  • 8 image comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.