Jump to content
Robox - dye trials
 
© brae oktober

Robox - dye trials



I bought the white Robox with the intent of altering the color to be more mechanical. I opted for dye since I thought paint would possibly gum up the works, and the robot would lose mobility. After some testing on spare parts, I used RIT Dye More in Frost Grey.

My end result was a 95% success. In an unexpected but promising turn, the joints turned darker and that would save me time trying to detail those. One calf and one forearm turned a slightly different shade of grey with more brown in it; the calf is the most obvious. The functionality was impacted slightly in that the ball joints are very tight now (I suspect the heat impacted the two types of plastic differently), except the head rolls about. I added some mini hold wax to the head joint and fixed that issue. I will add some lubricant to the other joints once my final detailing is complete.

I will add further details and aging, but I am pleased with the results so far. I can work on the mismatched coloration, or perhaps he's had an overhaul or two with not-quite-right replacement parts. :ohyeah: 

Full post here.

Copyright

© brae oktober
From the album:

Misc minis

  • 428 images
  • 0 comments
  • 1,261 image comments

Photo Information for Robox - dye trials


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...