Jump to content
BeaconHill-exterior-wip1.jpg
 

BeaconHill-exterior-wip1.jpg


wormwoodz
 Share


The progress on the exterior so far. I had a few days off so I tried to get as much work done on the structure as possible, I'm happy it's finally starting to look like a house :) 

I'm currently working on the rest of the windows, because I'm using diferent colors it takes a really long time as I have to paint the trims before assembling. When I'm done I'll wallpapper the rest of the house, add the windows and remaining sinding, and then resume work on the interiors. The dormer windows.... are a real headache to put together. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do it so that I can get a smooth curve, seams really hard to acomplish that with the window in place. I haven't glued the roof of the tower, I'll probably leave it like that to be easier to work. I haven't done any modification to this roof, I like it the way it is, I think I will have fun decorating it as the ceiling for the third floor hall.

  • Like 1

From the album:

~ Beacon Hill ~

  • 16 images
  • 0 comments
  • 175 image comments

Photo Information for BeaconHill-exterior-wip1.jpg

Taken with Apple iPhone 6s

  • 4.2 mm
  • 1/33
  • f f/2.2
  • ISO 100
View all photo EXIF information
 Share


Recommended Comments

I have seen other people use copper on the dormer windows, but that only helps with the curve on the outside. I wonder if it's possible to plaster over the small section until you get a smooth curve...?

(Full disclosure: I finally got a Beacon Hill dollhouse kit, & am doing a LOT of research before I jump in. Yours seems exceptionally grand - I am most impressed!!)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, Susan18 said:

I have seen other people use copper on the dormer windows, but that only helps with the curve on the outside. I wonder if it's possible to plaster over the small section until you get a smooth curve...?

(Full disclosure: I finally got a Beacon Hill dollhouse kit, & am doing a LOT of research before I jump in. Yours seems exceptionally grand - I am most impressed!!)

It's possible to use wood as well, such as thin flexible plywood to do the curve. What I'm more concerned with is the stability of the curve long term, dividing the "curve" into sections as it comes with the kit will help with that. But the issue is smoothing the surface inside, and yes I'm thinking about using plaster to make the shape, I just wonder if I can do that without ruining the wallpapper inside.. because of the way the window sills fit I can't see a way of doing it before gluing the window in after wallpappering the wall :/ I guess using flexible plywood inside would be an option as well, but I might try the plaster first. Cutting the interior window sill and glue it later is also an option.

You're absolutely right it's best to research a bit before building a house, I did so as well and several people warned me about the trouble with these windows. I wish you lots of fun with your build, it takes a long time to put it together but when it all starts to take shape it's very rewarding :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I know quite a few people wanted to see the plum color but I think that color is perfect.  Seeing the variations with the light and shadow really give it depth. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This really is looking beautiful.  And I agree that the color looks richer and better in this picture (although I'd still like to see the plum.:))  In the previous picture, the lighting may have been washing the red out a bit.

On the windows, would a wood veneer or wood scrapbook paper help?  It would be easy to curve but should provide a smooth surface.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I know quite a few people wanted to see the plum color but I think that color is perfect.  Seeing the variations with the light and shadow really give it depth. 

 

26 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

This really is looking beautiful.  And I agree that the color looks richer and better in this picture (although I'd still like to see the plum.:))  In the previous picture, the lighting may have been washing the red out a bit.

On the windows, would a wood veneer or wood scrapbook paper help?  It would be easy to curve but should provide a smooth surface.

There's a lot more trims and decorations still missing, but you can get the feel of how everything will come together. I think the plum would add too much contrast with the green trims, it would look nice in a real house that is under direct sunlight but here I think it will be a bit too dark. I could also try a mix of the two paints, but it would be better to try that after everything is finished. I will later try on a sample piece and put them side by side, but I think it might not look the best with the green color I used for the trims... and at this point it's too late to change the color on the windows. Here's what it looks like in the can, it's this dark when dry:

 

 

paint_plum1.jpg

Link to comment
1 minute ago, wormwoodz said:

Here's what it looks like in the can, it's this dark when dry:

I see your point.  With many parts of the house sort of in shadow, it might read almost black, which would not be the look you're going for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I see your point.  With many parts of the house sort of in shadow, it might read almost black, which would not be the look you're going for.

Yeah... I wish they had a color in between these two, but unfortunately they don't do custom mixes for acrylic paints, so I'd have to do it myself. I'll see how it looks with the rest of the windows on.

Link to comment

I'm not a color girl but I am loving this . The green is perfect and I do love how the Magneta color looks with it.  Are you leaving the bay window with the cream color because I kinda like that look. .Probably need to see more of the magenta color on the house . Again I'm am loving this color combo. This is going to be a stunner inside and out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, NellBell said:

I'm not a color girl but I am loving this . The green is perfect and I do love how the Magneta color looks with it.  Are you leaving the bay window with the cream color because I kinda like that look. .Probably need to see more of the magenta color on the house . Again I'm am loving this color combo. This is going to be a stunner inside and out. 

The bay window isn't finished, it has aditional trims on top and bottom, it will be a mix of that ivory cream and green but mostly green I think. Same with the porch posts, the cream color is more of an accent here and there. I really like the color combination too, specially with the mahogany wood on the windows.

Link to comment

The colors are perfect.  It's going to be a real stunner .  If it was real, it would be a house I would say, Oh look at that one.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Your colors are perfect...know someone said this.  I AM a PAINT person...but yes, it takes forever and waiting in between.  The GREEN and VIOLETTA are amazing...I LOVE IT.  GORGEOUS.  (Sadly I am not a wallpaper person in 1:12 or 1:6)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Emerald said:

Your colors are perfect...know someone said this.  I AM a PAINT person...but yes, it takes forever and waiting in between.  The GREEN and VIOLETTA are amazing...I LOVE IT.  GORGEOUS.  (Sadly I am not a wallpaper person in 1:12 or 1:6)

Oh yes, it's a lot of waiting for the paint and glue to dry before I can move on to the next step. Sadly I've just learned that they are discontinuing both this green and magenta color at my hardware store, it's a shame and makes me wish I had bought a second bucket of green. I hope their next colection includes some nice greens as I wanted to use this color on future builds. I also love paint coordination, miniatures is the place where I can have the freedom to experiment with paints, when I work with furniture it's usualy just stains and varnishes.

Link to comment

I think your colours are perfect as they are. At first I thought the plum might be better but now seeing the can I see your point. It would look like Halloween purple on the house which I assume is not your theme. :) 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...