Jump to content
Basement floor - grouted.JPG
 

Basement floor - grouted.JPG



Gave the brick flooring a wash of white paint to tone down the red and give it a bit of an aged appearance. Then grouted. Used spackle this time @Its_a_sm_world_after_all Jodi. :D Soooo much better.. but it's very white... should I give all of this a black wash to grimy it up a bit? Or leave it all white and pretty?

 


 

 

  • Like 3

From the album:

First Dollhouse DC San Franciscan SF557

  • 85 images
  • 1 comment
  • 529 image comments

Photo Information for Basement floor - grouted.JPG

Taken with Apple iPhone 5

  • 4.1 mm
  • 1/15
  • f f/2.4
  • ISO 500
View all photo EXIF information

Recommended Comments

Sam, I have to say first off that I love the look of this! However, having said that if this is indeed in the basement and you have a guy as the tenant having gotten a look at him checking out his new digs I wonder just how clean he and thus your floor would really be in a basement...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
37 minutes ago, minikelli said:

Sam, I have to say first off that I love the look of this! However, having said that if this is indeed in the basement and you have a guy as the tenant having gotten a look at him checking out his new digs I wonder just how clean he and thus your floor would really be in a basement...

Haha.. maybe he has OCD.. and he's only just moving in.. so ... No time to dirty it up yet... :D

I might dirty up the grout a little bit.. I'm going to mull on it for a while because I don't want to go overboard and ruin it. I quite like it as it is too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Ooohhh! I am loving the look! I don't know that I would do much more! It's truly beautiful and I can't stop scrolling back up for a look or two, or three...

You could try just using chalk pastels to give it some depth. That way, you can always add more or wipe off depending on how you're liking it. Once you're happy, seal it. Test the sealers on scrap bricks though, cause as I'm sure you already know, the luster can vary widely from brand to brand and satin is sometimes too glossy. Too shiny might ruin the effect you've worked so hard for. I have been LOVING the Ultra Matte Mod Podge instead of traditional varnishes, believe it or not. Doesn't seem to change the surface, but you know it's sealed. It's this one: 

1192715_1[5].jpg

I have to say it again! The brick floors and grout look awesome, Sam! I'm sooooo happy for you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Ooohhh! I am loving the look! I don't know that I would do much more! It's truly beautiful and I can't stop scrolling back up for a look or two, or three...

You could try just using chalk pastels to give it some depth. That way, you can always add more or wipe off depending on how you're liking it. Once you're happy, seal it. Test the sealers on scrap bricks though, cause as I'm sure you already know, the luster can vary widely from brand to brand and satin is sometimes too glossy. Too shiny might ruin the effect you've worked so hard for. I have been LOVING the Ultra Matte Mod Podge instead of traditional varnishes, believe it or not. Doesn't seem to change the surface, but you know it's sealed. It's this one: 

1192715_1[5].jpg

I have to say it again! The brick floors and grout look awesome, Sam! I'm sooooo happy for you!

Thanks Jodi! I'm so glad I listened to your wise advice and used the spackle. It was positively easy in comparison to that stinky old mosaic grout! I'm pretty sure they sell that Mod Podge at my local Spotlight.. I'll have to pick up some next time I'm there. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Love this! It looks so real! I agree with Jodi about the chalk pastels. Just a tiny bit of grey to tone it down a little bit. Awesome job :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love it like it is....you just redid the floor for the new tenant moving in.

      I know that guy who's moving in......{an he definitely has OCD}

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, minikelli said:

you have a guy as the tenant having gotten a look at him checking out his new digs I wonder just how clean he and thus your floor would really be in a basement...

Hmmmm.  He's in San Francisco, he's ripped, and, apparently, he likes showing off his body.  I don't think we should overlook the possibility that he's gay.  In which case, the probability that that basement apartment is going to look awesome (and clean) is high.  :bigwink:

I really like the look of this floor.  I think it's got just the right amount of wear and aging.

I am also a huge fan of matte Mod Podge.  I put a coat of it over the (allegedly matte but actually shiny) sealer on my stone fireplace, and it really helped tone it down.  I think that's all I'll use for matte sealing from now on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Thanks Guys.. I'm really happy with it too.. *does little happy dance*

And @Debsrand56.. I'm pretty sure I've heard Barbara Streisand & Show Tunes emanating from his ipod. :D 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Utoh Samantha, you may need to up your game for the rest of the house because he's probably a very picky decorator too!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
29 minutes ago, Samusa said:

Thanks Guys.. I'm really happy with it too.. *does little happy dance*

And @Debsrand56.. I'm pretty sure I've heard Barbara Streisand & Show Tunes emanating from his ipod. :D 

Just make sure the fella has lots of these around:

5e860d8931570037a77fe41771a0a9ee.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Sam - I really love how the brick looks! And i know what you mean about not going overboard and coloring too much. If you have a sample that you can grout, you can play around some. 

Jodi - thank you for sharing about ultra matte mod podge.  I was somewhat disheartened when I applied what I thought was matte on my terra cotta kitchen tiles, and it created a somewhat shiny finish, and sort of a brush line. 

11 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Hmmmm.  He's in San Francisco, he's ripped, and, apparently, he likes showing off his body.  I don't think we should overlook the possibility that he's gay.  In which case, the probability that that basement apartment is going to look awesome (and clean) is high.  :bigwink:

I really like the look of this floor.  I think it's got just the right amount of wear and aging.

I am also a huge fan of matte Mod Podge.  I put a coat of it over the (allegedly matte but actually shiny) sealer on my stone fireplace, and it really helped tone it down.  I think that's all I'll use for matte sealing from now on.

Debra - I may try this on my tile, in hopes it will tone down the shine. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

@Its_a_sm_world_after_all - I just coated my terra cotta tiles with this Mod Podge and am very happy with it! I think I will do one more coat. I brushed it with a sponge brush and am now going to roll it on. The one coat so far did even up the finish to a matte look.

I also used it on the exterior of my Chateau that had a very flat texture. I was looking for a sealer, and while I could have sprayed it with the Krylon, I wanted to avoid the horrible smell that lingers. 

large.ExteriorFinish.jpg.d5810633c4f3125

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...