Jump to content
  • entries
    89
  • comments
    21
  • views
    101,637

September 14, 2005


Guest

377 views

I painted the closet wall trim red and installed the doorknob on the closet door.

I papered the staircase wall and applied the trim after finishing giving it two coats of the red paint.

I then painted the banister portion of both sides of the center partition white. When it was dry I painted the lower fourth of the livingroom wall hunter green. When that was dry I applied a wallpaper border mural to that wall.

blog-242-1127870147_thumb.jpg

I then papered the other side of the center partition to match the staircase wall & closet wall. The paper has scattered clusters of wee strawberries. I've used this paper before in some other houses because it's such jolly kitchen paper :blink:

I installed the staircase & staircase wall, but not before performing reductive surgery on the trim and using many *magic* words.

I then removed and prepped the left wall; said prep included applying paper for the downstairs portion.

At this point I must digress with another observation. The box shows a picture of a chimney, but there are no fireplaces evident inside this house. So I shall finally get to tackle making something I've been threatening myself with the next time I was very bad, making a chimneybreast. I figured with all those *magic* words now was as good a time as any.

I began before papering the left wall by measuring and marking off a 4" wide space in the center of the wall and papered the rest of the wall on either side of this space.

blog-242-1127870375_thumb.jpg

I then cut a piece of card 3.5"x8.0" and drew grout lines 1/4" apart across it because I shall use some of those sandpaper "bricks" left over from the Glencroft.

I cut out two pieces of foamboard 1.0"x8.0" and one piece 4.0"x8.0"; from this last piece I cut an opening centered from the bottom that was 3.0"x5.5".

I then measured a piece of card 6.5"x8.0" and drew grout lines as before. I then cut two pieces of it 1.25"x8.0" to cover the sides once I had glued the front onto them. I also cut a 4.0"x8.0" piece from the card but this time the opening I cut was 2.5"x5.25"; from the corners of this opening I made diagonal cuts at the top of this opening and scored them lightly with the knife so I had 0.25" folds to cover the cut ends inside.

At this point I cut two 8" lengths of 1/4" square dowel and glued a length to one edge of each 1"x8" piece of foamboard. I then glued each 1"x8" piece to an outer edge of the back of the 4"x8" piece; now I have a chimneybreast with reinforced front corners. I primed the back of it and glued the 4"x8" piece of card to the front of the 4"x8" piece of foamboard, folding along the scores to "face" the opening. I then glued on the side pieces of card.

blog-242-1127870539_thumb.jpg

This is where the kitchen range will go. At the moment I'm thinking of some type of shelves on either side, under the windows; or not... Anyway, I expect the next day or so will find me at the diningroom table cutting & gluing little bricks <_< :o

complements of havanaholly

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...