Jump to content
  • entries
    302
  • comments
    194
  • views
    233,272

Down the rabbit hole...


rbytsdy

247 views

I've been foraying into stairs-- these are the kit stair sides:

large.IMG_4224.jpg.4aee022b15caff260ba9979ab8cb033d.jpg

With steps an inch high, this simply wasn't going to work for the mice. I started putting together a winding staircase based on 1/2"-high steps and 5/8"-treads, from foam board and matboard, to see how it would look in the space:

large.IMG_4221.jpg.2d85ec688741a9dc7be06b21e45aa85d.jpglarge.IMG_4223.jpg.bf57177992ad93cfd0f21bcf8129719f.jpglarge.IMG_4223.jpg.bf57177992ad93cfd0f21bcf8129719f.jpglarge.IMG_4225.jpg.e4ab1ba58f6bfbc538630073bcf344d6.jpglarge.IMG_4226.jpg.0c6fd9161df1e8945aba0e62b16c2a10.jpg

Those pieces that extend into the room are just base pieces that would get cut off, but regardless as much as I liked how they turned out, this staircase simply took up too much space in the room. Back to the drawing board-- tried 1/2"-tall steps along the wall and they ended up at the front door, so compromised with 5/8"-tall steps:

large.IMG_4227.jpg.126f46ecf2ff468dc9fe884e25903242.jpg

Relocated the doorway (4" tall!), and I think this will work. The card on the floor shows how wide they'll be. I would prefer the steps to be 1/2"-tall, but I think this is minimally intrusive on the rest of the room.

Anyway, I had to do this so I could figure out where the stairwell hole would be in the second floor. Here is everything back in rough dry-fit:

large.IMG_4232.jpg.72647d51ee4c8a9e52bbe88269350d39.jpglarge.IMG_4228.jpg.b277f5fb983be0fcbba665f6722db158.jpglarge.IMG_4229.jpg.6112e5827f46d1ca4b78682695ea409c.jpglarge.IMG_4230.jpg.95acec87b9955b35a85d52bc10b23dd8.jpglarge.IMG_4231.jpg.d9bac848e5e4f434d8b674c3a5314f80.jpg

The reason that the front door opening is so tall is that it will have a transom window. The bay walls are two layers of matboard glued together; I cut out the windows in each layer separately b/c cutting two layers together would've been too tough!

I am deviating from the original house's roofline by keeping that right-hand-side roof tall-- it may look a little funny but I want a third floor, and if I lower it to the left-hand-side roof height, there won't be room enough for a third floor.

Now that everything's cut, including doors and windows, I've taken it apart and primed. Last weekend I went to get paints and papers:

large.IMG_4233.jpg.71cf450d30aeedb39221f5a412cc5ba0.jpg

The paint at the top is Valspar perfect pint interior latex satin in "Botanical Bliss", and I even found square "diamonds" at Michael's for the left gable. I was disappointed with the cardstock selection at HL and Michael's-- the florals are in paper, whereas I am thinking that some of these rooms will do better with a thicker cardstock wallpaper due to the amount of wall patching that I've done (therefore increasing the surface roughness of the walls). I am looking at this site to see if there are some printed cardstocks that catch my eye.

  • Like 1

0 Comments


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...