Jump to content
  • entries
    302
  • comments
    199
  • views
    242,697

San Fran - finished!


rbytsdy

410 views

 Share

Well it was a race to get the San Fran finished, and me plagued with allergies to boot, but I finally got it in the mail. Some pics- first of the base, which I covered with the brick powder treatment that came with the kit. I had never tried this stuff before and was a bit trepidatious, but it turned out pretty well; alot hardier than I had thought it was going to be. You would pretty much have to take a chisel to it to get it off!

blogentry-928-1292624732_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292624706_thumb.jpg

I decided not to install any more window treatments than the one in the green room because I had run out of time! (And also because they would interfere with my stained glass and opening windows...) And now some finished pics, which I had to take inside because this house was too big and heavy and unwieldy to trot in and out:

blogentry-928-1292624851_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292624907_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292624882_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292624928_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292624952_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292624977_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625001_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625027_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625052_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625085_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625117_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625141_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625159_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625178_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625201_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625220_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625236_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625255_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625278_thumb.jpgblogentry-928-1292625294_thumb.jpg

blogentry-928-1292625314_thumb.jpg

  • Like 1
 Share

5 Comments


Recommended Comments

12 hours ago, Lani said:

Thank you!  This house is beautiful!

Thank you for looking. Unfortunately it suffered some pretty major structural damage during shipping (cementing my dislike for MDF), and due to various domestic "dissolvings", I don't know where it has ended up by now... :(

Link to comment
On 6/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, rbytsdy said:

Thank you for looking. Unfortunately it suffered some pretty major structural damage during shipping (cementing my dislike for MDF), and due to various domestic "dissolvings", I don't know where it has ended up by now... :(

Rbytsdy,  I'm so sorry to hear that.  My house is a Real Good Toys house.  I believe it is made of MDF!  Is that why Greenleaf uses plywood?  The MDF is so strong and accepts paint so easily and beautifully, I thought it would be superior. but I have a lot to learn.  I'd love to hear your thoughts as I'm a beginner and planning to buy another (my second) dollhouse soon.

 

Edited by rbytsdy
Link to comment
55 minutes ago, Lani said:

Rbytsdy,  I'm so sorry to hear that.  My house is a Real Good Toys house.  I believe it is made of MDF!  Is that why Greenleaf uses plywood?  The MDF is so strong and accepts paint so easily and beautifully, I thought it would be superior. but I have a lot to learn.  I'd love to hear your thoughts as I'm a beginner and planning to buy another (my second) dollhouse soon.

 

Some of the folks on the forum have alot of experience w/ MDF and could probably tell me where I went wrong, but the glue joints of the floors and walls had come loose with semi-disastrous effect. Perhaps nails or some sort of mechanical affixing would have prevented that.

I like the Greenleaf plywood b/c it's lightweight, and easy to cut and more versatile for bashing (not to mention cheaper, and easier to move around and ship). I reinforce it with trim from the hardware store. I know that it won't be as sturdy as a cabinet-grade build, in that one can't sit on it and expect it to survive. My current build in my blog isn't Greenleaf but it's the same plywood, and old "Artply Allison" off eBay-- it looks nothing like the original kit!

Link to comment

Thanks, Rbytsdy.  I bought my first dollhouse already assembled from Hobby Lobby.  I was too intimidated to try to assemble a dollhouse myself.  RGT says to assemble with tacky glue and never with hot glue.  However, it appears to me that my house was assembled with hot glue.  So far, all is well but I fear that someday I will need to do some rehab.  I used tacky glue on the addition, which I assembled, myself.  Now that I've done that and gotten some confidence, l will assemble my next house, myself.

 

Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...