Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    4
  • comments
    0
  • views
    1,480

About this blog

  I purchased a Glencroft off Craigslist, advertised as "fully assembled!  All that needs to be done is the roof shingled!" for $25.  I've always loved the Glencroft, especially the lovely staircase, so I snapped it up!

Well, of course at that price, much more is needed.  Indeed, fully assembled....with hot glue.  And the seams and joints were already cracking and falling apart.  Several roof pieces fell off just getting it from the car into the house.  Somebody in the distant pass had wallpapered some of the rooms..and then somebody else tried -- without success -- to remove the wallpaper. And on and on.  So this blog will be a saga of what I will do to try to restore the Glencroft to "glory"....or at least make it much more presentable than it now is!

Glencroft front.JPG

Glencroft face (2).JPG

Glencroft right angle.JPG

Glencroft left angle.JPG

Entries in this blog

 

Some pictures of the house as it is, now...

I've been having "issues" with loading pictures...trying to figure out how to adjust the resolution on my camera to make them the proper size to post here.  So we'll see if this works: The house has had as many cracks as I can reach -- filled in with wood putty.  Some of the rooms have been painted.  I'll be painting the rest in the next day or so. The hardest area to paint is the area along the staircase.  This should have been painted (or papered) before the hou

uppitycats

uppitycats

 

The work continues...

A lot has been done since I last posted.  I've had problems loading pictures, so I'll try again with this post, but it may not work.. ... Anyway. I have gone over the entire house with a container of wood putty at hand. (I use elmers wood putty, in a square plastic container).  I've filled in all acracks, then gone back over the house and filled in cracks I missed the first time.  (And just this very day found yet another gap that needed filling..)  Once the wood

uppitycats

uppitycats

 

Moving right along

All the wallpaper is gone.  I tore off as much as I could, then scraped off some more.  When I got done with as much as I could that way, I moved to the sponge dipped in water, and a scraper in the other hand.  I finally gone down to mostly bare wall. I finished removing all the loose pieces before, and got rid of the hot glue.  I used the hot gun to heat a scraper and putty knife, and used those tools (with a glove on my hand) to remove as much hot glue as I coul

uppitycats

uppitycats

 

First things first

The hot glue.  Although I've rehabbed several houses now, this is the first one I've had that was totally put together with hot glue.  I fully understand now why everyone says "Don't Use Hot Glue!".  It cracks, leaving sharp splinters.  When you try to pull away loose sections, it takes part of the wood with it, marring the pieces.  It splinters, leaving shards all over the place. And as I said, pieces were already falling off.  I think if you're a contractor who can lay down a perfectly

uppitycats

uppitycats

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...